Monday 28 January 2008

Pop On Trial

Anyone been watching the excellent BBC4 series on pop music? Using a motley collection of pop stars old and new and music journalists, they voted that the 1970s were the most influential decade in pop music. Quite interesting, but I would say that it's very difficult to burden one decade with the responsibility! Every decade provides something new and influential, although it's hard to make a case for anything from the 90s and beyond as by this time there wasn't much new that could be invented. What we do need today is something akin to another punk revival - the scene at the moment is too predictable and we getting like the early 60s when the music scene was run by pop impresarios moulding unknowns into pop stars for 5 minutes of fame - Simon Cowell is just today's Larry Parnes. I know that the internet is now providing much of the best new independent music but it's very fragmented, it's a shame there's not a good up and coming independent label out there promoting the best new stuff in the manner of Stiff or Two-Tone. If only I was 30 years younger.....yes! I'd be 20!

Some things you don't know about me (although you may do if you know me well enough)

1) I have an IQ of 152
2) One of my ancestors fought in the Napoleonic Wars (For the British, I think...sacre bleu!)
3) I have a strange affinity with animals
4) I used to work with a Bootleg Beatle
5) I can play the balalaika (Russian stringed instrument)

All true, but not necessarily interesting.

2 comments:

hughesy said...

I've got New Boots and Panties - the Ian Dury cd, obviously!
I don't think you can blame the
70s for Prog Rock, it began in the 60s, which is probably the sole reason why it wasn't voted best decade.
Blisstrooper records... yes, it's got a nice ring to it

notungodley said...

I think you're biased when it comes to prog as Floyd and Yes don't feature on your i-pod, there was some great stuff that these bands produced and lets face it even though punk was exciting when it happened not many of the bands have stood the test of time, who listens to Sham 69 these days?