Thursday 23 July 2009

You wanna be starting something?

So, Michael Jackson RIP : misunderstood pop genius manboy or Gary Glitter with a lot more money?
I veer towards the former -I can't believe that anyone wouldn't realise that if you appear on a worldwide tv documentary and readily admit that you that share your bed with young boys then this is going to be a big deal?
It was quite interesting watching the whole circus surrounding his death and comparing it with pop celebrity deaths of the past. I wasn't around when Buddy Holly died, was that treated with such worldwide grief? I expect not, but in those days the media was much more limited than nowadays, although there was a lot of outpouring of grief and large media coverage for both the deaths of Elvis and Lennon even though they were both past their 'sell by' date in terms of popularity but so was Jackson who hadn't had a decent record record out for 20 years and has been an international figure of fun for the past decade. Still, which rock or pop star that is alive now will create the same media frenzy when they die? I can't see the same reaction when Jay-Z or Bono pop their clogs.

3 comments:

Raggers said...

Poor Whacko Jacko must have suffered from meltdown. Agree that it's doubtful if we'll ever see such hysteria again. Thank goodness. A shame he's a bit misunderstood but I'll lay odds if one of us confessed on prime time TV to taking little boys to bed, the local constabulary would be straight round to drag us off to John Street!! I doubt my musical talents would save me!!

Armitage Shanks said...

A pedant suggests that Lee needs to revise ther Thread header to reflect his real age....?

Anyway great to see a return after 14 months absence. Well done Lee, keep it going son.

Re Wacko Jacko....such media hysteria. Amazed that BBC 2 devoted evening prime time to the event. Wouldn't do that for a Nolan sister......

Steve (or Frank, depending who's reading!) said...

Well, they always reckon that when you've been out of the limelight for a while, dying is a good career move ! When I went into HMV the day after his death, I thought, "I'll just have a look and see how many CDs there are left...." Sold Out ! I guess he won't see the benefit, but, Michael Jackson days on pretty much every channel since raises the profile and, as I say, makes it appear a pretty good move!

Glad to see you back on the web, Hughesy ! - Thinking of a blog, meself......